UCAS Conservatoires: finance and support

Not sure how to pay for your performance-based course, or how you’ll cope during your studies? Don’t worry, there’s a range of support available.

Not sure how to pay for your performance-based course, or how you’ll cope during your studies? Don’t worry, there’s a range of support available.
In terms of finance, UCAS is only involved in the application fee and collecting audition fees, but we’ll explain all the conservatoire costs here.  

Student finance

Higher education is a big investment, so you may need a student or career development loan – which you’re advised to apply for three months before your course starts. You might be eligible for additional funding from other organisations too.

Student support

Conservatoires can offer support in many ways – from any worries or anxieties you have to issues with accommodation, student visas, impairments, or care leavers.

Individual needs 

Conservatoires have different ways they can support you in higher education – see our support for individual needs section.

International and EU students

You might need to arrange a student visa to study in the UK.

  • If so, you’ll need to prove your English language skills, and make an application through UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
  • Your conservatoire will help you to apply, and you can enter your passport details here on ucas.com when you fill in your application or after you have submitted it.

More about visas, immigration and English language tests

Disabled students

If you have a physical or mental health condition, learning difference, or long-term illness, you can let the conservatoire know on your application. However, it's a good idea to contact them directly to discuss your support needs as early as possible – even before sending your application.

More about support for disabled students

Refugees and asylum seekers

If you're a refugee or asylum seeker applying to higher education, there's support available to help you with finance and your studies.

It's a good idea to contact conservatoires before you apply, to discuss what support they can offer you. This will depend on your circumstances, and you will need to let them know your refugee status.

Find out more

Mature students

If you have any concerns about starting your conservatoire course, just make sure you’re prepared.

  • Make a schedule and arrange any childcare you need.
  • Ask for help if there are any skills you need to update.
  • Take time to settle in and talk to other students and support staff.

Students not supported by their family (estranged)

If you're applying for student finance through Student Finance England or Wales 

If you are an independent student and you're estranged from your parents, you can find information about support, financing your studies and accommodation options in the StandAlone student guide.

Find out more

Care-experienced students

There’s plenty of support in higher education for care-experienced students – with finances and accommodation, as well as help with settling in to your new surroundings.

More about support for care-experienced students